April 25, 2013 10:42 AM

Working back up

  
Today saw an improvement over the rest of this week. I felt good going into the box today and was optimistic that I would perform better than Monday and Tuesday.

We did some extra shoulder mobility work ahead of an intense WOD of bench presses and pull-ups. We were supposed to do 5 rounds of body-weight bench presses followed by max unbroken pull-ups.

My 1RM bench happened to by my current body weight (175#). I was able to get one in the warmup, but there was no way I was going to be able to do that for 5 rounds. I dropped to 165# for the work out. I was pretty consistent with my reps - 2 or 3 on the bench and around 10 for pull-ups.

Behind me, others were benching 185#. After the WOD, I rested for a few and tried it. Almost. Rested for a few more minutes. One more try. I struggled, but I got it down and up. New 1RM bench is 185# (after a hard bench WOD - need to try it before the workout next time).

I am now optimistic that persistence is all that is required. That and keeping a better schedule for rest days.